Stephanie Lee

March 6th, 2010

Mini Fieldwork Experience

Posted by emodjsteph in Uncategorized  Tagged , ,
I was the researcher first and I did the topic of necessary improvements on Queens CollegeĀ campus. It was a bit difficult coming up with questions to ask since everything depended on the initial question “What do you think is the biggest issue that needs to be improved on Queen College campus?” I made general questions like “Why do you think this is an issue?”, “How has this affected your life on campus?” and “What do you think should be done to help improve this?” The rest of the questions I asked, I had to come up with along the way which was a bit more difficult but made it feel more like a conversation than a very stiff, structured interview. I had a very difficult time keeping my own opinions, views, and knowledge out of the interview and I found myself talking as much as listening. I have to work on keeping my own views and opinions out of the interview because it can influence the participant.

Nalicia said that what needed the most improvement was the parking situation, a subject on which I feel very strongly (which only made it harder to try to keep my opinions to myself). We went to the nearest parking lot and saw the entire lot was full except for two spots and the only reason those spots were there was because it was 3 in the afternoon. If we had gone earlier, the lot would’ve been completely full. Nalicia explained that she never even bothered entering in the lottery for a parking pass because she’d heard from people that had the pass that spots were never guaranteed and she didn’t want to bother with that.

I disliked that I had to try and hold back what I wanted to say about the subject in order just to record what she was saying. It is very difficult to try and appear objective on something I feel strongly about.

When we switched roles and I was the participant, my answers to her questions were the opposite from Nalicia’s would have been, so our experiences were the opposite of each other’s when it came to dining on campus. I think it was useful in showing her another side of the campus that she hadn’t seen before, because she is used to seeing the Student Diner packed and buzzing with people, whereas I am used to going when it is much less crowded and almost dead. So that is where we went, as well as the lounge behind the diner and the little coffee stand nearby. All were conceivably empty which helped illustrate my point.

When I have to do this for my project or something else, I will try to refrain from too much friendly conversation before the interview in hopes to try and keep myself from feeling the need to add my input and opinions. If I have to do this again for real, next time I will also want to record the interview rather than try and write down notes as they speak (I found I can’t writer and walk very well at the same time).

4 Responses to ' Mini Fieldwork Experience '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Mini Fieldwork Experience '.

1.    Veronica said,

on March 10th, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I like the pictures that you used and from your summary of the experience I see many similarities between yours and mine. Me and my partner didn’t really respond to each other’s photos–I would’ve gone back and do that if I had the chance. Maybe to ask my partner why she took the photos she did and so on.

I can totally see how it’s hard to keep your opinions in check during the interview process–I know I had trouble with that myself. I kept catching myself, trying not to ask “leading questions”. I think that being passionate about a subject is great for research because it makes you a better investigator. Hopefully we can hone in on those skills when we start our projects.

Good job!

2.    antonia said,

on March 15th, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Great pictures, great description and reflection — well done! šŸ™‚

3.    coupon codes avis said,

on September 10th, 2016 at 12:47 pm

coupon codes avis

Stephanie Lee » Mini Fieldwork Experience

4. on June 7th, 2018 at 10:49 pm

black market credit card information – entershop.uk

Stephanie Lee

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

• Monthly

• Meta

• Subscribe to RSS feed
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS
    • Subscribe to Atom feed
    • Powered by WordPress; state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform.
    • Firefox - Rediscover the web
  • Spam prevention powered by Akismet