Stephanie Lee

February 20th, 2010

Getting To Know My Eyes

Posted by emodjsteph in Uncategorized  Tagged

The snow on my front lawn is an untouched stretch of pure white. The sunlight beaming off such a blank canvas blinds me for a moment when I first step outside. Untouched, the snow looks fake like the synthetic, cottony fluff you would buy in a department store that is called ‘snow’ under pretense. The ground is clean except for one stray piece of newspaper that is crinkled from having once been wet and then dried in the sun and it’s caught in the ivy separating my neighbor’s house from my own. My neighbor pulls out of their driveway and another driver coming down the street has to stop and let them by before continuing on their way. There is so much white; the snow, the houses, the cars. It is peaceful and doesn’t feel like the city at all, except the soiled snow pushed to the sides of the road and a car driving by every thirty seconds reminds me that I live on the Queens side of the border between Queens and Long Island. The tree on my lawn is directly in front of me and is bare. Its branches are thin and exposed and screams of winter and death and cold but there is a small patch of green grass peeking out from underneath the snow at the base of the tree. It is promising what will come when all the snow melts and the air gets warmer. Vegetation. Life. A new beginning.

4 Responses to ' Getting To Know My Eyes '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Getting To Know My Eyes '.

1.    yleader said,

on February 20th, 2010 at 8:47 pm

This is another blog that expresses the winter season. Although the winter is normally depicted as being gloomy, there are still plenty colors to enjoy. Some pictures showed a very blue sky, a bright sun and this picture is showing a bright white ground mixed with shades of brown from the ground and in the far top right hand corner there is a beautiful blue showing the beauty of the sky. So it makes me realize that in the midst of what seems like gloom there’s always something bright to remind us a better day.

2.    sarah kusnitz said,

on February 22nd, 2010 at 12:26 am

If I looked outside my house right now, I would see the exact same thing. You mentioned the words “blank canvas” I agree with you that snow somehow creates something new and fresh once it falls and just lays on the ground. It’s almost as if you don’t want walk in it, or shovel it because its so perfect. One more thing that comes to mind when I look at this picture is the quietness snow can give off. When the streets are filled with snow and cars are driving down it, they don’t make the usual loud car noises, it is more of a quiet swish in the snow which adds to the peacefulness of the snow I see in this picture.

3.    antonia said,

on February 22nd, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I like the “seventies” quality of the colors in your picture — how did you do that? Your description is clear and flows liek a story — beautiful.

4. on November 8th, 2015 at 9:32 pm

dentists in greensboro nc

Stephanie Lee ยป Getting To Know My Eyes

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

• Monthly

• Meta

• Subscribe to RSS feed
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS
    • Subscribe to Atom feed
    • Powered by WordPress; state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform.
    • Firefox - Rediscover the web
  • Spam prevention powered by Akismet